Tuesday, March 3, 2009


This is my very favorite Butternut Squash recipe. I found it on Dr. F's web sight:

Butternut Squash with Red Grapes, Onions and Sage



1 very large butternut squash (or 2 small) - peeled and seeded. Cut into small cubes
2 small onions, chopped
2 cups red grapes
1/4 c pinenuts toasted
1/2 tbsp ground sage
Oven Temp: 425
Cook time: 40 minutes
Serves: I get about 4 meals out of it (1 person)

Peel, seed and cube squash. Chop onions. Halve the grapes if you want. I never do. In a large bowl, add all ingredients but pinenuts. Dr. F says to use fresh sage, but I prefer ground sage. It covers every piece of squash and that's part of the flavor's yumminess! Add sage and mix everthing up. I never measure the sage. I just add it until each piece has some on it. Then I put foil in my very large (sometimes I need two of them) baking dish. This way I don't need to add any oil and cleaning is much easier. Meanwhile, toast the nuts over medium heat stirring frequently. I admit to using a tad bit of spray olive oil. Now pop it in the oven for 40 minutes. Once done, sprinkle with nuts. YUMMY!

3 comments:

  1. That recipe looks good. I've never tried it, but I love butternut squash (even though it is really HARD to cut).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try it too! as soon as I see grapes at my co-op. I haven't seen them in a while.

    -barb

    ReplyDelete